Our Equations (2-Step) Lesson Plan engages students in solving basic 2-step equations. Interactive activities strengthen practical understanding as students are equipped to identify and solve basic 2-step equations. Engage creativity and concept understanding as students create their own 2-step equation solving infographic.
Sample Classroom Procedure / Teacher Instruction
- Display a simple one-step addition or subtraction equation to solve. Ask students to help solve it.
- Display a simple one-step multiplication or division equation to solve. Ask students to help solve it.
- Next, display a 2-step equation, and ask students how they would solve the problem.
- Allow for responses and discussion. Introduce 2-step equations.
- Distribute Equations (2-Step) content pages. Read and review the information with the students. Demonstration the solving of 2-step equations using additional examples with the class. Use the additional resources to enhance understanding.
- Distribute Activity page. Read and review the instructions. By creating equations for other students to solve, this will give them extra practice in solving them. In addition, it will show students solving equations are not as difficult as they may think.
- Distribute Practice page. Check and review the students’ work. Distribute the Homework page. The next day, check and review the students’ work.
- Allow students to share how to solve the equations as you go through the steps with the class.
- In closing, students will make a single page, step-by-step instruction sheet showing steps in solving 2-step equations. Allow them to creatively design the single page, or perhaps turn the steps into a poem, song, etc.
- Collect finished pages and display in the classroom for future reference.
Common Core State Standards: None for Grade 5, CCSS.Math.Content.6.EE.B.6
Class Sessions (45 minutes): 1 – 2 class sessions.
Want more math resources? Check out our other Math Lesson Plans!