The lesson introduces students to the “Cradle of Civilization,” Mesopotamia, and presents an overview of this interesting civilization and era. The lesson begins with the geographical location of Mesopotamia between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. The discovery of farming is then discussed, as well as the Sumerians. Relevant vocabulary like nomadic, hunters and gatherers, domesticated and ziggurat is included, among others. Babylon and Persia are briefly mentioned, as well as the invention of the wheel, writing and other early technologies. The lesson may be used in conjunction with other ancient civilizations lessons.
Ancient Mesopotamia Lesson Plan Includes:
- Full Teacher Guidelines with Creative Teaching Ideas
- Instructional Content Pages about Ancient Mesopotamia
- Hands-on homework activities
- Answer Keys
- Common Core State Standards
- Many Additional Links and Resources
- Built for Grades 4-6 but can be adapted for other grade levels.
*Note: These lessons are PDF downloads. You will be directed to the download once you checkout. Clarendon Learning resources are FREE, we rely 100% on donations to operate our site. Thank you for your support!