Our Arithmetic Patterns Lesson Plan gives understanding to arithmetic patterns using the addition and multiplication tables. This hands-on lesson challenges students to create arithmetic patterns for the class to solve, as well as utilizes pair groups for checking answers to sequences solved individually. Students will be able to explain the patterns using properties of operations.
Sample Classroom Procedure / Teacher Instruction
- Begin by explaining to students that numbers are often found in patterns.
- While reading the content pages, give students additional examples of arithmetic patterns to help them understand the concepts. Use the additional resources to enhance understanding.
- Introduce the notes on patterns. Have students color in addition tables based on the patterns discussed in the notes. Use the additional resources to enhance understanding.
- Allow students time to discuss other patterns that they may see or create from their previous mathematical knowledge.
- Have students practice finding next terms in arithmetic patterns. Instructors can provide problems or have students volunteer a problem to demonstrate knowledge of sequences in patterns. Students can write their answers on whiteboards and hold them up to be checked.
- Follow Activity page with students. Hand out extra paper for them to create a table. Allow for discussions and excitement!
- Distribute Practice page. Check and review the students’ responses. Have students work individually and check their work with a partner.
- Distribute the Homework page. Explain that students will be creating problems and providing an answer key. At the beginning of the next class, collect homework and distribute to students to work the problems. Have the original papers returned and checked.
- Ask students if they remember which property was used in arithmetic patterns.
- Allow for responses and discussion.
Common Core State Standards: CCSS.Math.Content.3.OA.D.9 None for Grade 4
Class Session (45 minutes): 1 class
Want more math resources? Check out our other Math Lesson Plans!