The lesson helps students understand the basic features of text, specifically sentences. The lesson instructs students in recognizing a sentence by looking for a capital letter at the beginning and the punctuation at the end. The lesson assists students with developing smooth reading skills and comprehending long sentences. The lesson may be used in conjunction with other beginning reading lessons.
Sample Classroom Procedure / Teacher Instruction:
- Ask students: When you read a story, how do you know when to start and stop reading a sentence?
- Allow for responses and discussion. Ask: What are the parts of a sentence?
- Allow for responses which may include words, capital letters, periods or question marks, etc. Introduce Basic Features of Print to the class.
- Distribute Basic Features of Print content pages. Read and review the information with the students. For examples, use current reading content as much as possible. Save the final question for the lesson closing. Use the additional resources to enhance understanding.
- Distribute Activity page. Read and review the instructions. Pair students. Students cut apart the words and make sentences. First words must be capitalized, and a period, question mark, or exclamation point must be used correctly. Allow sufficient time for the activity completion. Remind students that words may be used more than one time.
- Once completed, students share one or more of their sentences with the class. Students pairs may also meet with each other and share their sentences.
- Distribute Practice page. Check and review the students’ responses. The page may be completed aloud with the class.
- Distribute the Homework page. The next day, check and review the students’ responses.
- In closing, ask students: What is the sentence you most like to hear or read? Why?
- Allow for responses and discussion. Share examples of possible favorite sentences such as There will be no school tomorrow. You can have a new game. Do you want ice cream or cake? It is time for recess. Ask students to be specific as to why it is a favorite.
Common Core State Standards:
Class Sessions (45 minutes): At least 2 class sessions
Many more teaching resources in Download!
Want more reading resources? Check out our other Reading Lesson Plans!