The lesson introduces students not only to Betsy Ross, but also the American Flag. There are debates about Betsy Ross’ contribution to the flag, but all agree she was a designer and sewer of flags. The students will learn the story of the flag as it relates to Betsy Ross, plus a short history of the American flag. Many students are unaware of its history, and if possible, it is recommended students receive a small American flag following the lesson. The lesson may also be used in conjunction with lessons related to the American Revolution, especially for higher grades.
Betsy Ross/American Flag Lesson Plan Includes:
- Full Teacher Guidelines with Creative Teaching Ideas
- Instructional Content Pages about Betsy Ross/American Flag
- Hands-on homework activities that includes making a flag
- Answer Keys
- Common Core State Standards
- Many Additional Links and Resources
- Built for Grades 1-3 but can be adapted for other grade levels.
*Note: These lessons are PDF downloads. You will be directed to the download once you checkout. Clarendon Learning resources are FREE, we rely 100% on donations to operate our site. Thank you for your support!