Introduce how to use a dictionary, both online and otherwise, and explain the benefits of using a dictionary with our hands-on Dictionary Use Lesson Plan, which is an excellent tool for developing written expression skills in young students. Generalize understanding with practical application as students use a dictionary to learn about new words, pronounce words, discover additional uses for the same word, and recognize that some dictionaries include a thesaurus and other helpful tools. The concept of alphabetical order is also briefly reviewed. This versatile lesson plan can be used with online dictionaries or used in conjunction with other lessons related to the use of reference tools.
Dictionary Use Lesson Plan Includes:
- Full Teacher Guidelines with Creative Teaching Ideas
- Instructional Content Pages about Dictionary Use.
- Hands-on homework activities giving students practice on using the dictionary as a reference tool.
- Answer Keys
- Common Core State Standards
- Many Additional Links and Resources
- Built for Grades 1-3 but can be adapted for other grade levels.
*Note: These lessons are PDF downloads. You will be directed to the download once you checkout. Clarendon Learning resources are FREE, we rely 100% on donations to operate our site. Thank you for your support!