This lesson is specifically related to forests, their uses and types. Most students may have had a general introduction to the types of forests in earlier grade levels. It is highly recommended teachers use the videos in the additional resources to give students the opportunity to “visit” the forest types. The lesson can be used in conjunction with lessons related to the environment or ecosystems.
Sample Classroom Procedure / Teacher Instructions:
- Ask: What do you think of when you hear the word forest? What images come to your mind?
- Allow for responses and discussion. Ask: Have you ever visited a forest? Describe the experience.
- Allow for responses and discussion. Introduce Forest Types and More to the students.
- Distribute Forest Types and More content pages. Read and review the information with the students. Save the final question for the lesson closing. Use the additional resources to enhance understanding.
- Distribute Activity page. Read and review the instructions. Group students in 3s or 4s. Assign each group one of the forest types. Distribute necessary supplies and/or students may provide their own supplies if creating a forest model. Students will need access to the Internet and computer programs.
- As students work, the teacher will monitor progress, intervene when students have questions, and take note of the cooperation within student groups, which will be used for the assessment.
- While students work, assign each group a time slot for their presentation. Remind students that if a group member is absent, they will be rescheduled.
- During each presentation, use the criteria page to assess the students’ work and presentation. At the end or once all groups have completed the presentations, distribute the groups’ quizzes to the class.
- Collect quizzes and allow groups to check answers.
- Distribute Practice page. Check and review the students’ responses.
Common Core State Standards:
Class Sessions (45 minutes): At least 2 class sessions
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.4.3, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.4.4, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.5.3, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.5.4, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.6.2, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.6.4
Want more science resources? Check out our other Science Lesson Plans!