Our interactive Introduction to Whole Number Comparison Lesson Plan exposes students to new number comparison symbols and vocabulary. Leverage concept imagery as students create alligators to apply their understanding of using symbols when comparing whole numbers, as well as strengthen critical thinking. Students solidify their understanding as they generalize real-world situations that require two numbers to be compared.
The lesson introduces the students to whole number comparison.
Sample Classroom Procedure / Teacher Instruction
1. Begin by explaining to students that it is important to be able to compare numbers because we often want to know which numbers are bigger or smaller in order to make decisions.
2. While reading the content pages, reinforce vocabulary and give students additional examples of whole number comparison problems in order to help them practice the new symbols. Use the additional resources to enhance understanding.
3. Introduce the notes on the introduction to whole number comparison. Have students practice problems using their symbols. Use the additional resources to enhance understanding.
4. Have students practice problems as a class to check for understanding.
5. Follow Activity page with students. Have students work individually to create their alligators and then work as a class to use them in problems.
6. Distribute Practice page. Check and review the students’ responses as a class.
7. Distribute the Homework page. Have students work a few problems at the beginning of the next class to reinforce the new symbols.
8. In closing, ask students to think of a time when they had to compare two numbers.
9. Allow for responses and discussion.
Common Core State Standards: CCSS.Math.Content.1.NBT.B.3, CCSS.Math.Content.2.NBT.A.4
Class Sessions (45 minutes): 1 class.
- Many more teaching resources in Download!
Want more math resources? Check out our other Math Lesson Plans!