This lesson introduces students to algebraic expressions for the first time. An algebraic expression does not have an equal or inequality sign, but it does include variables, constants, and operation symbols [the plus (+) and minus (-) signs]. All relevant vocabulary is defined, and students are given an opportunity to practice using the vocabulary and labeling parts of algebraic expressions without having to solve the equations.
Math Expressions Lesson Plan Includes:
- Full Teacher Guidelines with Creative Teaching Ideas
- Instructional Content Pages about Math Expressions
- Hands-on homework activities giving students practice on Math Expressions
- Answer Keys
- Common Core State Standards
- Many Additional Links and Resources
- Built for Grades 4-6 but can be adapted for other grade levels.
*Note: These lessons are PDF downloads. You will be directed to the download once you checkout. Clarendon Learning resources are FREE, we rely 100% on donations to operate our site. Thank you for your support!