Engage young students in the metric system with our Metric Measurement (1-3) Lesson Plan. This lesson equips students to define the metric measure and identify the units of measure within the metric system for length, volume, and weight. Students will be able to demonstrate understanding by distinguishing between the different units of measure in the metric system.
Sample Classroom Procedure / Teacher Instruction
- Display the units of metric measurement mixed together with units or standard measurement. Use length, volume, and weight for both systems. Ask students: Can you tell me what the different words mean? How can we make different groups with the words?
- Allow for responses and discussion. Display the groups students suggest, which may include all the volume mixed, length mixed, etc., and then lead the students to two groupings: Metric and Standard.
- Ask: Would you rather have a liter of chocolate milk or an ounce of chocolate milk? Or similar question.
- Allow for responses and discussion. Introduce the terms for the metric system.
- Distribute Metric Measurement (1-3) content pages. Read and review the information with the students. Save the final question for lesson closing. Use the additional resources to enhance understanding.
- Distribute Activity page. Read and review the instructions. Pair students. Distribute items. Have doubles of some items to ensure all pairs have an item to examine. Tell students to pass the item to another pair of students when done with it. Review the instructions using an item you do not distribute. Allow students sufficient time to complete
- After completion of the activity, together as a class, check and review the students’ responses.
- Distribute Practice page. Review the directions. Check and review the students’ responses.
- Distribute the Homework page. Review the instructions. The next day, allow students to share their drawings or images for each metric measurement. Review for correct matches.
- In closing, ask: What measurement system would you rather use and why? Metric or Standard? 11. Allow for responses and discussion.
Common Core State Standards: CCSS.Math.Content.1.MD.A.2 CCSS.Math.Content.2.MD.A.1 CCSS.Math.Content.2.MD.A.3 CCSS.Math.Content.3.MD.A.2
Class Sessions (45 minutes): At least 2 class sessions.
Want more math resources? Check out our other Math Lesson Plans!