The engaging lesson helps students identify and understand the moral, message, or lesson presented in the fiction stories they read. Students who are used to reading stories like fairy tales for pleasure may not recognize or understand the lessons. The lesson reminds students that it is important that they understand the stories convey meaning as well as being entertaining. The lesson includes an Aesop’s Fable as an example to help students find meaning in a story and also defines fable, moral, message and lesson. Finally, the lesson gives students an opportunity to write their own story that includes a moral or message.
Sample Classroom Procedure / Teacher Instruction
- Ask students: Why do you read stories?
- Allow for responses and discussion. Ask: What are some things you learn when you read stories?
- Allow for responses and discussion. Ask: Do you ever learn about things that can help you? What are some examples?
- Allow for responses and discussion. Introduce Morals, Messages, and Lessons.
- Distribute Morals, Messages, Lessons content pages. Read and review the information with the students. Ask students to identify the clue words found in the content examples that will help them discover the moral or message. Save the final question for the lesson closing. Use the additional resources to enhance understanding.
- Distribute Activity page. Read and review the instructions. Review and explain each of the listed lessons with the students. Pair students. (As an option, the students may orally share the finished story with the class without writing it out on paper.)
- When each pair of students read their completed stories, the class will try to guess its moral, message, or lesson. Ask students what words or sentences helped them to discover the message of the stories.
- Distribute Practice page. Check and review the students’ responses.
- Distribute the Homework page. Remind students to read the stories with an adult family member or friend to help discover the message of each fable.
- In closing, ask students: What story can you tell that can be used to teach another person about something?
Common Core State Standards:
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.1.2, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.2.2, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.3.2
Class Sessions (45 minutes): At least 2 class sessions
Many more teaching resources in Download!
Want more reading resources? Check out our other Reading Lesson Plans!