The lesson discusses the natural resources of the Earth and how they are used by humans. The students will need to distinguish between renewable and non-renewable, as well as their subcategories. Several relevant vocabulary words are defined and used throughout the lesson, including: raw materials, organic, inorganic, metallic and non-metallic. The diverse uses for natural resources are also covered in the lesson. The discussion during the lesson could lead into protecting the Earth’s resources, wasting resources, and other environmental issues facing the planet and world leaders.
Sample Classroom Procedure / Teacher Instruction:
- Display a variety of objects which are renewable and nonrenewable. Ask students what all of the items have in common.
- List some of their responses and include discussion. Ultimately all of the items can be concluded that they came from the Earth.
- You may wish to trace back the some of the items as to their journey from the Earth to its present state. Introduce natural resources.
- Distribute Natural Resources content pages. Read and review the information with the students, including discussion of the images as they relate to the resources. Save the final question for the lesson closing. Use the additional resources to enhance understanding.
- Distribute Activity page. Read and review the instructions. They may find additional items from the images not listed on the answer key.
- Once completed, allow volunteers to share the responses for the items.
- Distribute Practice page. Check and review the students’ responses.
- Distribute the Homework page. The next day, check and review the students’ responses.
- In closing, ask: What natural resource would you miss the most if it no longer existed?
- Allow for responses and discussion. The discussion should also lead into protection of the resources, conservation, etc.
Common Core State Standards:
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.4.1, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.4.1.c, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.4.5, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.5.5, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.5.1, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.5.1.c, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.6-8.4, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.6-8.7
Class Sessions (45 minutes): 1-2 class sessions
Want more science resources? Check out our other Science Lesson Plans!