Our interactive Nouns Lesson Plan equips students to recognize and use common and proper nouns, including identifying the categories and types of nouns. Encourage creative thinking as students generalize understanding and classify common nouns from their environment.
Sample Classroom Procedure / Teacher Resources Snippet:
- Display the collected items for display. Ask: What do all of the items have in common?
- Allow for responses and discussion. Separate the items into the three categories.
- Ask the same question for each category. Lead the discussion to nouns.
- Ask students to give examples of persons, places, and things.
- Distribute the Nouns content page.
- Read and review the information with the students, asking for examples of each type. Use as many examples as necessary to reinforce understanding. (Review proper punctuation for possessive nouns.)
- Distribute the Activity page. Pair students.
- Review the instructions. Students may write the name of another student, but limit the proper nouns if necessary, otherwise they may write all students’ names on the page.
- Once completed, allow students to share their responses checking specifically if they correctly labeled each noun.
- Distribute the Practice page. After completion, allow students to share their responses. Check for understanding.
Common Core State Standards:
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.4.1, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.5.1, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.6.1
Class Sessions (45 minutes): 1 – 2 class sessions
Want more language arts resources? Check out our other Language Arts Lesson Plans!