Introduce your students to the coordinate plane and give them an opportunity to work with that plane by drawing polygons. The lesson begins by introducing the coordinate plane and defining vocabulary like quadrants, x-axis, y-axis, and ordered pair. Then the lesson introduces polygons and defines related vocabulary like vertices and and line segments. Students then work in pairs to draw various shapes. Practice sheets, a suggested homework assignment, and a quiz for assessment are included with the lesson. The lesson will be most effective when used in conjunction with a lesson about shapes or graphing.
Polygons and Coordinate Planes Lesson Plan Includes:
- Full Teacher Guidelines with Creative Teaching Ideas
- Instructional Content Pages about Polygons and Coordinate Planes
- Hands-on homework activities giving students practice on comparing Polygons and Coordinate Planes
- Answer Keys
- Common Core State Standards
- Many Additional Links and Resources
- Built for Grades 6 but can be adapted for other grade levels.
*Note: These lessons are PDF downloads. You will be directed to the download once you checkout. Clarendon Learning resources are FREE, we rely 100% on donations to operate our site. Thank you for your support!