Our Pronouns Lesson Plan prepares students to identify common pronouns and provides experiential learning activities for students to practice using pronouns in a sentence. Engage collaborative learning and creativity as students compose sentences using pronouns and reference materials.
Sample Classroom Procedure / Teacher Instruction
- Ask student volunteers to tell you about a favorite time with their family without using saying the five pronouns you have listed.
- Keep allowing a new student to try until all students have tried. It will be very difficult to complete.
- Ask students why it is difficult to speak without using the words on the list.
- Allow for responses and discussion. Ask if they know what the five words are called.
- Introduce pronouns and their uses. Distribute the Pronouns content pages.
- Read and review the information with the students, using additional examples if necessary.
- Distribute the Practice pages. Pair students. Review the instructions. Distribute scissors.
- Tell students they will use the words and make as many sentences as possible using their Sentence Page and the partner’s page. Each pronoun must be used at least one time. Stress to students to be creative. They may also add 6 other words which can be written in the empty spaces.
- Once completed, allow students to share some of their sentences, while also identifying the pronouns plus the noun the pronoun took the place of in the sentences.
- Distribute the Practice page.
- When completed, review with the class. (You may also ask students to identify the nouns the pronouns took the place of in the sentences.)
- Distribute the Homework page. Check and review the next day, allowing students to share their sentences.
- In closing, ask each student to verbally share a sentence using at least two different pronouns.
Common Core State Standards: CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.1.1.D, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.2.1.C, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.3.1.A
Class Sessions (45 minutes): 1 – 2 class sessions
Want more language arts resources? Check out our other Language Arts Lesson Plans!