The lesson introduces students to the commutative and associative properties as they relate to addition and subtraction of whole numbers. Students will understand that when they add two numbers, the order in which the two numbers are added does not change the sum. Remember that the sum is the answer to an addition problem or the total value. The lesson gives students the opportunity to practice identifying which property is used, as well as using the properties to solve problems. Interactive websites which include math games the students can play to practice these skills are included with the lesson.
Properties: Strategies to +/- Lesson Plan Includes:
- Full Teacher Guidelines with Creative Teaching Ideas
- Instructional Content Pages about Properties: Strategies to +/-
- Hands-on homework activities giving students practice on Properties: Strategies to +/-
- Answer Keys
- Common Core State Standards
- Many Additional Links and Resources
- Built for Grades 1-2 but can be adapted for other grade levels.
*Note: These lessons are PDF downloads. You will be directed to the download once you checkout. Clarendon Learning resources are FREE, we rely 100% on donations to operate our site. Thank you for your support!