Strengthen reading comprehension and critical thinking skills with our Reading for Purpose Lesson Plan, which introduces students to the purposes of reading, and briefly discusses an author’s purpose for writing content. Explore the numerous reasons for reading both fiction and non-fiction content and equip young students to make connections between their prior knowledge and the content they are reading. This lesson provides opportunity to encourage more in-depth reading and concentration, as well as presents strategies to enable students to decipher the content they read.
Reading for Purpose Lesson Plan Includes:
- Full Teacher Guidelines with Creative Teaching Ideas
- Instructional Content Pages about reading for purpose
- Hands-on homework activities giving students practice on identifying purpose from a text
- Answer Keys
- Common Core State Standards
- Many Additional Links and Resources
- Built for Grades 1-3 but can be adapted for other grade levels.
*Note: These lessons are PDF downloads. You will be directed to the download once you checkout. Clarendon Learning resources are FREE, we rely 100% on donations to operate our site. Thank you for your support!