Equip students to decipher the daily delivery of content with our engaging Reading News Stories Lesson Plan, which introduces the parts of traditional newspapers, explores bias, how to determine trustworthiness of news, and more. Including the 5 W’s of writing news stories develops critical thinking and written expression as students learn how to identify the elements of a news story and use those elements to compose their own news story. Providing ample opportunity to review news from a variety of sources with the challenge to identify bias and fake stories stimulates engagement and critical thinking skills.
Reading News Stories Lesson Plan Includes:
- Full Teacher Guidelines with Creative Teaching Ideas
- Instructional Content Pages about reading news stories
- Hands-on homework activities giving students practice on identifying bias and the 5 W’s of writing news stories
- Answer Keys
- Common Core State Standards
- Many Additional Links and Resources
- Built for Grades 4-6 but can be adapted for other grade levels.
*Note: These lessons are PDF downloads. You will be directed to the download once you checkout. Clarendon Learning resources are FREE, we rely 100% on donations to operate our site. Thank you for your support!