This lesson focuses on the two main political parties in the United States- the Democrats and the Republicans. The two parties are given “equal time”. A brief history of each party is given, as well as a summary of its platform and other facts. Most students will have heard of the two parties, but many do not know their place in the history and influence of American politics. The lesson may be used in conjunction with a general political party lesson, or other election-related lessons.
Republicans and Democrats Lesson Plan Includes:
- Full Teacher Guidelines with Creative Teaching Ideas
- Instructional Content Pages about Republicans and Democrats
- Hands-on homework activities about the American two-party political system
- Answer Keys
- Common Core State Standards
- Many Additional Links and Resources
- Built for Grades 4-6 but can be adapted for other grade levels.
*Note: These lessons are PDF downloads. You will be directed to the download once you checkout. Clarendon Learning resources are FREE, we rely 100% on donations to operate our site. Thank you for your support!