Expand student vocabulary with our Roots and Affixes Lesson Plan, which prepares students to define, identify, and use roots, root words, prefixes, and suffixes. Challenge students to generalize their understanding while composing a ten-word sentence that contains as many roots and affixes as possible.
Sample Classroom Procedure / Teacher Resources Snippet:
- Display the words prefix, suffix, root, root word, and affix. Ask students if they have ever heard of the words before.
- Allow for responses and discussion. Ask students if they can give examples of each. Introduce the meanings of each word.
- Distribute Roots and Affixes content pages. Read and review the information with the students. Be sure students understand the difference between a root and a root word.
- Stress to students the availability of lists with many more roots and affixes. Use the additional resources to enhance understanding.
- Distribute Activity pages. Read and review the instructions. Pair students. Give students enough time to create the 75 words.
- Once completed, allow each pair of students to share some of their words.
- Distribute Practice page. Distribute colored pencils if necessary. Allow students to share their responses when completed.
- Distribute the Homework page. The next day, check and review the students’ responses. Allow student volunteers to read one of their created sentences while identifying the word(s) with the root/affix.
- In closing, challenge students to write a ten-word sentence with as many roots/affixes as possible.
- Allow students to share their attempts.
Common Core State Standards:
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.4.4.B, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.5.4.B, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.6.4.B
Class Sessions (45 minutes): At least 2 class sessions
Want more language arts resources? Check out our other Language Arts Lesson Plans!