Our interactive Science Process Skills Lesson Plan prepares students to define, identify, and use the science process skills. With an opportunity for student-led investigation, this lesson makes developing science process skills concrete and engaging while developing confidence and presentation skills as students present their findings.
Sample Classroom Procedure / Teacher Resources Snippet:
- Tell students to sit quietly. Distribute the Observation Page. Students will sit quietly for 5 minutes and list as many observations as possible.
- When completed, allow students to share their responses. Stress the importance of effective observations: Instead of writing they see a big box, they would write, I see a box about 12 inches wide, 6 inches high, and 12 inches wide. Observations need to be specific.
- Introduce the Science Process Skills telling students observation is a basic process skill. They have used it often, and most of the others in school and most likely at home.
- Distribute the Science Process Skills content pages. Read and review the information with the students. Use additional resources to enhance understanding of the process skills.
- Distribute the Activity page. Read and review the instructions. Pair students and distribute the supplies. Tell students to follow the directions carefully, record information accurately.
- Once students have completed the investigation, allow for responses and discussion. Check for students’ understanding.
- Students will decide on a second investigation on their own, as well as bring in the some of the supplies they will need to carry out the research the next day. Stress it should be a simple one that takes one class period or less.
- The next day, allow each pair of students to carry out the research/experiment.
- When completed, allow some student volunteers to share their findings.
- Collect the Activity pages (including additional notes) for assessment and review.
Common Core State Standards: CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.4.4 CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.5.4 CCSS.ELA Literacy.RST.6-8.4
Class Sessions (45 minutes): At least 2 class sessions