Introduce the concept of subtraction to young students with our Subtraction Lesson Plan. This interactive lesson demonstrates how to use subtraction within 20 (or 100), solve word problems using subtraction, and work with subtraction equations. Using counters, students engage in experiential learning to reinforce the concept of subtraction.
Classroom Procedure Sample Snippet:
- Distribute 20 raisins or other small edible pieces of food to each student. Tell students not to eat any of them and to follow your directions. (Raisins can be substituted with any food item.)
- Have students count aloud up to 20 using the raisins.
- Display the number 20 for all students to see with space to create a number sentence.
- Have students eat 3 raisins saying: Take away 3 raisins and eat them.
- Count aloud the remaining raisins (17). Display the number sentence: 20 – 3 = 17. Together steps 3 – 5, substituting the new total each time until there are no more raisins.
- Discuss the concept of subtraction introducing the subtraction terms: difference, take away, minus, etc. Ask students some reasons we use subtraction, allow for responses minus and equal symbols, Activity Page #1.
- Show students how to create number sentences using the counters and symbols to record on the activity page(s). The second number (subtrahend) must be less than the first and discussion.
- Distribute 20 counters to each student (or more, depending on learning level), the number (minuend).
- Monitor students’ work, checking for understanding. Review the completed page with students allowing volunteers to read aloud some of the number sentences.
- Distribute Activity Page #2. Demonstrate for students how to use the counters to find the missing subtrahend. Students will use counters to complete the activity page.
- Monitor students’ work, checking for understanding. Review the completed page with students, allowing volunteers to read aloud each problem.
Common Core State Standards:
CCSS.Math.Content.1.OA.A.1, CCSS.Math.Content.1.OA.B.4, CCSS.Math.Content.1.OA.C.6, CCSS.Math.Content.1.OA.D.7, CCSS.Math.Content.1.OA.D.8, CCSS.Math.Content.2.OA.A.1, CCSS.Math.Content.2.OA.B.2
Class Sessions (45 minutes): Two or more class sessions
Want more math resources? Check out our other Math Lesson Plans!