The lesson introduces students to early railroads and the Transcontinental Railroad. Young children are usually interested and intrigued by trains. In some parts of the country, seeing a train may be rare, so it is important for students to see how this early form of transportation brought the people of the United States closer together. The lesson could also be used as a geography lesson related to the locations of the states.
The First Railroads Lesson Plan Includes:
- Full Teacher Guidelines with Creative Teaching Ideas
- Instructional Content Pages about The First Railroads
- Hands-on homework activities
- Answer Keys
- Common Core State Standards
- Many Additional Links and Resources
- Built for Grades 5-6 but can be adapted for other grade levels.
*Note: These lessons are PDF downloads. You will be directed to the download once you checkout. Clarendon Learning resources are FREE, we rely 100% on donations to operate our site. Thank you for your support!