The lesson introduces students to the Underground Railroad, used to help slaves escape from the South to freedom. Most students may not know about the Underground Railroad, but they have heard of the Civil War and slavery. Students can learn about a slave’s life on their journey using the Underground Railroad. The lesson may be used in conjunction with a lesson related to Harriet Tubman, the Civil War, and slavery. It is recommended students view one or more of the additional resources videos.
Underground Railroad Lesson Plan Includes:
- Full Teacher Guidelines with Creative Teaching Ideas
- Instructional Content Pages about the Underground Railroad
- Answer Keys
- Common Core State Standards
- Many Additional Links and Resources
- Built for Grades 4-6 but can be adapted for other grade levels.
*Note: These lessons are PDF downloads. You will be directed to the download once you checkout. Clarendon Learning resources are FREE, we rely 100% on donations to operate our site. Thank you for your support!