The lesson helps young students understand addition and subtraction emphasizing the place value. The use of pictures and drawings is also encouraged to help students “see” addition and subtraction. In this lesson, when subtracting, the top number is always larger so borrowing is not needed. The lesson may be used in conjunction with other lessons related to addition and subtraction or place value.
Understanding Addition/Subtraction Lesson Plan Includes:
- Full Teacher Guidelines with Creative Teaching Ideas
- Instructional Content Pages about Understanding Addition/Subtraction
- Hands-on homework activities giving students practice on Understanding Addition/Subtraction
- Common Core State Standards
- Many Additional Links and Resources
- Built for Grades 1-2 but can be adapted for other grade levels.
*Note: These lessons are PDF downloads. You will be directed to the download once you checkout. Clarendon Learning resources are FREE, we rely 100% on donations to operate our site. Thank you for your support!