The lesson introduces students to the use of parentheses, brackets, and braces when solving expressions. Though most students should already know the order of operations (PEMDAS), the lesson includes a review. Many students though become confused when they begin seeing brackets and braces, but as with the order of operations, a step-by-step approach will improve their understanding of their use. Teachers are encouraged to give students ample opportunity for practice using the additional worksheet resources.
Using Parenthesis/Brackets Lesson Plan Includes:
- Full Teacher Guidelines with Creative Teaching Ideas
- Instructional Content Pages about Using Parenthesis/Brackets
- Hands-on homework activities giving students practice on identifying and using Using Parenthesis/Brackets
- Answer Keys
- Common Core State Standards
- Many Additional Links and Resources
- Built for Grades 5-6 but can be adapted for other grade levels.
*Note: These lessons are PDF downloads. You will be directed to the download once you checkout. Clarendon Learning resources are FREE, we rely 100% on donations to operate our site. Thank you for your support!