This lesson introduces students to the use of vaccines and their benefits to our health. The immune system is introduced at the beginning of the lesson since it relates closely to vaccines. The way vaccines work is briefly described, followed by a list of common vaccines including chickenpox and measles. The lesson closes by discussing the importance of everyone having vaccines.
Sample Classroom Procedure / Teacher Instruction:
- Ask students: How many of you have ever been sick? What was it like?
- Allow for responses and discussion. Ask: What are some things you can do to prevent a sickness?
- Allow for responses and discussion. Ask: If you could get a shot and never get sick again, would you get it? Do you think it is possible? Why or why not? (no)
- Allow for responses and discussion, but lead students to the fact that some diseases and sicknesses can be prevented with a shot. Introduce Vaccines.
- Distribute Vaccines content pages. Read and review the information with the students. Save the final question for the lesson closing. Use the additional resources to enhance understanding.
- Distribute Activity page. Read and review the instructions. Pair students. Encourage creativity and cooperation. Allow sufficient time to complete the poster.
- Once completed, each pair of students presents their poster to the class discussing its content. (The teacher may allow students to vote on the best, most creative, most effective, etc.)
- Distribute Practice page. Check and review the students’ responses.
- Distribute the Homework page. The next day, check and review the students’ responses. Students correct false statements.
- In closing, ask students: Share a time in your life when you had to get a vaccine. What was it for? Did it cause you any problems? Do you think everyone should get a vaccine? Why or why not?
Common Core State Standards:
CSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.4.2, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.4.3, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.4.4, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.5.2, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.5.3 CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.5.4, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.6.2, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.6.4, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.6.7
Class Sessions (45 minutes): At least 2 class sessions
Want more science resources? Check out our other Science Lesson Plans!