The lesson reviews the basics of verb tenses and introduces students to progressive verb tenses, form and use of perfect verb tenses, and the use of the correct verb tenses to convey various times, sequences, states, and conditions. Several examples of each verb tense are provided, and activities are provided so students can practice writing sentences using various verb forms. Several additional resources are provided for your students to use for extra practice.
Sample Classroom Procedure / Teacher Instruction:
- Display three sentences representing the past, present, and future tense of a verb. Ask students to identify what is the same and different about each sentence.
- Allow for responses and discussion. Further ask students if they can add other words to change the time, sequence, state, or conditions of the actions taking place in the sentence.
- Allow for suggestions and discussion. Ask students why it is important to use different verb tenses when writing or speaking.
- Allow for responses and discussion. Introduce Verb Tenses.
- Distribute Verb Tenses (4-6) content pages. Read and review the information with the students. Use the additional resources to enhance understanding.
- istribute Activity pages. Read and review the instructions. Pair students. Students use the verbs, helping verbs, etc., and create as many sentences as possible. Remind students to add details, such as adjectives, articles, subjects, adverbs, etc.
- Students share some of the sentences with the class, as other students try to guess the verb form and tense.
- Distribute Practice page. Check and review the students’ responses.
- Distribute the Homework page. The next day, check and review the students’ responses. Allow students to share their made-up sentences.
- In closing, ask students: Sentences often tell about the past, present or future. Besides the present time, would you like to go back in time or jump ahead to the future? Why? Use the correct verb tenses when answering.
Common Core State Standards:
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.4.1.B, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.5.1.B, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.5.1.C, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.5.1.D
None for Grade 6
Class Sessions (45 minutes): At least 2 class sessions
Many more teaching resources in Download!
Want more language arts resources? Check out our other Language Arts Lesson Plans!